Monday, March 7, 2011

The Golden Age of Fantasy; a Representative Year

I’ve talked about this time being The Golden Age of Fantasy to a few people, and this year, I think, possibly shows it off better than any in recent memory.

First off let me defend the idea that this is The Golden Age of Fantasy. Ever since Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and Robert E Howard defined the genre in the first half of the 20th century, there have been fantasy books.  Of course there were similar works before that, but I’m talking about what the modern reader considers to be “fantasy” books started with that group of authors, particularly Tolkien.  There have been high periods and low periods, many storied authors have taken a crack at it, with mixed results. 

Then, to my mind, in the late 80’s, early 90s, Robert Jordan took a huge swing at breaking open the genre by attempting to write The Ultimate Fantasy Epic, sticking in every trope, treading every worn path, and, to my mind, trying to give the fantasy reader exactly what he or she wants.  A huge epic yarn sprawling an enormous world with a real sense of depth and history spanning a dozen cultures in as many cities.  An intrepid set of heroes, a mysterious prophecy. All the ingredients for an incredible fantasy epic.  Unfortunately he didn’t live to finish it, and his work is only now being wrapped up by a new fantasy writer. 

But what a shot he took.  The first few books captured my imagination in a way nothing besides Tolkien had really done in a fantasy setting.

And I think I wasn’t the only one whose imagination was captured. 

So for me, The Wheel of Time marks the beginning of this new golden age. 

It wasn’t alone of course, there were other authors working at the same time or just before who were breaking new ground and trying new things, but as near as I can tell, and obviously this is very arguable, a real torrent of great fantasy followed the Wheel of Time.

For me, the Next Great Series, was A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin.  Where Jordan was hitting the tropes by the numbers, Martin was using them to trick his readers and blindside them with outrageous occurrences.  This series wasn’t about worldbuilding and magic, it was about politics and characterization, and in some was, about just plain fantastic writing.  Unfortunately the writing seems to have stalled to some degree with the preponderance of plot threads too much for Martin to manage.  Let’s hope he makes his way out of it because I suspect there’s an incredible conclusion waiting for us.

The next great series to come to my attention is actually a bit older and it’s called Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Tad Williams.  I found it a bit tough to get into, but quite rewarding once I’d managed to work my way through it.  I don’t have a ton to say about it, but I found the conclusion pretty satisfying.

At this point I have to mention the next great fantasy series that came to my attention, and it’s fame and popularity probably eclipses anything else I’ve written about.  It could practically define The Golden Age of Fantasy by itself.  Of course I’m talking about the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, which is finished and satisfying and magical and fantastic and unexpectedly adult and overall just a wonderful series. 

After those, I was exposed to The Malazan book of the Fallen, an absolutely increidble exercise in worldbuilding by Steven Erikson, an anthropologist by trade and Ian Cameron Esslemont, an archeologist.  The story, as near as I can tell, is that Erikson and Esslemont were RPG gamers and created their own RPG universe together and ended up writing a screenplay in their universe that never got picked up and led to them each deciding to write a series of novels.  However it came about, the Malazan universe is rich and rewarding full of incredible detail and fantastic characterization.  Very tough to get into, with a few baffling books at the beginning, but well worth the investment by the end. The last book in the first Malazan series has just come out and I’m currently reading it when I’m not writing ridiculously long blog posts.

After these huge series, I was exposed to Joe Abercrombie’s first law series, a darkly funny take on what can basically described as a twisted Dungeons and Dragons party (trust me It’s good).  Scott Lynch’s Gentleman Bastard cycle, which has a fantastic book  (The Lies of Locke Lamora) and, what must be described as a sophomore slump Red Seas Under Red Skies.  Still good but not as good as Lies.  Brandon Sanderson’s Mistborn series, not to mention individual works like Warbreaker and Elantris.  Great ideas built into solid books.  And last but not least, Patrick Rothfuss’ Kingkiller Chronicles, which are so far both fantastic books: The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man’s Fear.

There are even more authors I’d put on a tier below those guys that are still worth checking out, but I’m running out of time.  Needless to say, I’ve got fantasy novel recommendations in spades so don’t be afraid to hit me up for one. 

As for this year, so far, what IS DEFINITELY out or coming out:

New Ian Cameron Esslemont, Stonewielder.  Good, but not as good as Return of the Crimson Guard.

New Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man’s Fear.  Fantastic, highly recommended.

New Steven Erikson, The Crippled God, finale of the original Malazan series, and so far, pretty damn good.

Joe Abercrombie, The Heroes, another dark hilarious jaunt.

What is PROMISED:

Dance of Dragons, by George RR Martin, FINALLY the next Song of Ice and Fire Book.

The Republic of Thieves, by Scott Lynch, new Gentlemen Bastards Book.

Mistborn: The alloy of Law, a new Brandon Sanderson set in the mistborn universe.

Ghost Story, new Dresden Files, by Jim Butcher.  Modern Fantasy, but Fantasy nonetheless.

And that’s all I can think of right now.  It’s been a long day. 

Still, an INCREDIBLE year for fantasy!

No comments: